The 1882 Foundation is accepting applications for a dynamic and engaging summer internship in Asian American public history, preservation, and storytelling.
Job Title: Summer Intern at 1882 Foundation
1882 Foundation is a non-profit organization in Washington DC, whose mission is to promote a deeper understanding of Asian American history and culture.
The summer intern will work with our project directors on program initiatives to preserve and educate Chinese American history and heritage. The position requires: (1) flexible hours, including some weekend and evening work, (2) June 1st – August 9th 2023 availability, (3) proficient research and analytical skills. The position can be in-person in Washington, DC or remote. Please indicate in your letter which you prefer.
The Foundation is seeking interns with interest in working on the following projects:
- Talk Story and Timeless Echoes. Plan, prepare and present events for the public.
- Education. Develop & promote curriculum on topics related to Asian American history for K-12 and college students.
- Arts and Literature Corner. Share books and films about Asian American topics.
- Preservation and Community Engagement. Support preservation of historical sites such as the Transcontinental Railroad Summit site and urban and rural Chinatowns.
- Digital Archive. Assist with building digital collection of stories about the Chinese American experience. Work w Range 99 Chinese American Memorial, museums & historical societies.
- Conferences. Help organize and support regional and national conferences on urban and rural Chinatowns, buried sites, and Chinese American women in history.
- Other topics in our community initiated by Foundation staff or by you!
- Be curious, self-motivated, independent, and energetic.
- Clearly communicate orally and in writing.
- Approach challenges openly, thinking about creative and collaborative solutions
- Writing sample that best demonstrates your research and analytical skills. Maximum preferred 2 pages, double-spaced
- Cover letter, outlining what areas of our work most interest you.
The position is unpaid. We encourage students to seek funding through their university or third parties. The Foundation is dedicated to helping interns secure funding.
Please email all submission materials or any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “2023 Summer Internship” by April 16th @ 5:00 pm. You will hear back with a decision by EOD May 1st. If you require an earlier decision in order to secure funding through your university or institution, please indicate so in your application. Upon request, a decision can be available as early as March 31st.